Skip to main content

What a difference ADE makes!

The general consensus about last night's performance show (SYTYCD) is a bit disappointing. BUTT (:) There were a few shining moments thankfully and voting was much easier for me last night.

First off props to Toni Basil for her lifetime achievement and trail blazing in the world of hip hop, popping and locking. I remember seeing The Lockers on the very first season of SNL (I've been watching them from the beginning) and discovering that the chick that sang the Mickey song was actually very important in the world of dance.

1. Jonathan & Karla butcher a Dave Scott smooth hip hop routine. Nigel said it best, you two didn't even have your head nods together... wtf?? It was sloppy, uninteresting and totally out of sync. I adore Dave Scott and he deserved to see a better version of his dance.

2. Vitolio and Auska take on a rock jazz Mandy Moore routine.
I loved Auska's look and there were moments of excitement, but overall I didn't feel they were together enough, the leaps weren't very high and ended up being kind of underwhelmed.

3. Ade & Melissa RUMBA - thank GOD. Seriously, what a difference Ade makes (and Melissa). This is the couple to beat in my opinion... everything they've danced has been flawless, exciting, passionate and just thrilling. He looked like the reincarnation of a 70s love god and she was exquisite in that awesome dress - but beyond their look the dance was sultry and smokin!

4. Janette & Brandon - Dave Scott hip hop/ rock fusion
I enjoyed this a lot and Brandon was VERY impressive in this style of dance... he really brought a different character to the routine and occasionally I forgot who he was as he was dancing. Thankfully this couple redeemed the night for Dave after the first routine.

5. Kupono & Kayla - Viennese Waltz
I wanted Kupono to be the one to leave last week, so I went into this routine bitter. But I felt that he danced it very well, much more masculine than I expected him to be and Kayla was of course gorgeous, graceful and lovely. Yet, I still didn't vote for them b/c it wasn't that memorable of a routine for me and I figure Kayla will be OK considering how much the judges love her.

6. Evan & Randi - Mia Michaels hypnotizing butt routine :)
that's a terrible way to remember that routine (and there is a BUTT) because it was beautifully danced by these two. I LOVE that long, slow backbend they did and how committed they were to Mia's vision. FINALLY a really memorable number of the night and Randi and Evan performed more to their ability. These two were right up there with Melissa and Ade last night.

7. Caitlin & Jason - Paso Doble
I loved their costumes but that was about it. They both looked like they should have been doing a bellydance number instead of Paso Doble, which wouldn't that be awesome??? I felt like they didn't connect to each other at all during this routine and they were so focused on making it aggressive that there wasn't genuine passion behind it. I'm a little disappointed with these two because they have so much potential.

8. Janine & Phillip - Tyce Diorio Broadway
I LOVED this routine before they even started dancing - from the instant they started they were very animated, in character and energetic. I didn't agree with the judges about Phillip, I thought he really shined in this number (despite ripping his pants :) and Janine is very good at taking on roles in the dance, taking her ego out of the routine and becoming the character for the choreographer. And way to go on that couch jump wow!

So the couples I predict will be in the bottom: Jonathan & Karla, Vitolio & Auska, Caitlin & Jason and possibly Kupono and Kayla. Even though Kupono and Kayla danced the waltz well, it's not the kind of number that will get people to call in. We shall see tonight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Belly Dance Practice On The Go

Hey dancers - frustrated because your budget or time doesn't allow for belly dance class? Do you spend countless hours behind a computer desk wishing you could be practicing dance instead? Well good news, you can practice isolations just about anywhere!  Sitting at your desk :   1. alternating glute squeezes.   This is pretty easy to do without anyone noticing (so long as your face isn't making a weird expression. :) As you hopefully know, alternating squeezing each butt cheek is a great way to build up your shimmy strength (while also building muscle memory). First make sure you have the correct posture. Then focus the mind on right cheek, squeeze and then left. If you can only do it slowly that's just fine, it's still an effective exercise and eventually you'll easily speed up. For more info on glute squeezes see Shira's website .  2. pelvic tuck, glute squeeze (both together).   Make sure your posture is correct. Sit toward the back of your chair wi

Ben Browder Q & A 2013

I really don't know the legality of writing in detail about a ticketed event at a convention... but I just had to share the fun that was Ben Browder for my fellow Farscape fans.  He is also know for Stargate (which I didn't really watch but just might now!) and was also on a recent episode of Arrow. But my heart will always beat for John Crichton of Farscape .  Thanks to my AZ BFF Alisha, I was introduced to the most creative sci-fi show I've ever seen.  Working with the Muppet studios and fantastical make-up creations, the show TRULY felt like another universe that would be phenomenally confusing to any human.  And that is part of the humor in it for me... I don't want to spoiler anyone who plans to watch the show, but poor John is a brilliant astronaut who is accidentally sucked into another universe, fumbling his way through, perpetually confused and mocked mercilessly for it. I'd been kind of disappointed in certain sci-fi shows in the past in that the aliens

lame lyrics

"so many things i want to tell you, everything i want to share, just gets blogged or tweeted even though those folks don't care. everything that makes me laugh or break out into a smile, fills me with a need to see you even just a little while." totally corny right? was just a random thought I had a week ago when missing my man. I dunno my biggest flaw as a musician is my inability to connect melodies I write to genuinely good lyrics. There's definitely an art to writing for songs versus writing poetry or stories. I think it baffles me most because what I consider great lyrics are so painfully simple, yet NOT if you get my point. I've been trying to pay attention to songs that really move me and pay close attention to the lyrics. The Cliks album Dirty King is a great example (it's not officially released yet but I bought a copy at their concert). Lucas' lyrics are powerful, yet just vague enough that they can be interpreted many ways and therefore h