Skip to main content

Recreate yourself every day

It's the time of year when people start making resolutions, looking back at the year and noting accomplishments and also things they wish they had done or maybe done differently. Perhaps you also look forward and make plans about things you want to accomplish in the coming year...

I'm a big believer in setting goals, however, anyone that knows me also knows I don't always finish what I start. Therefore I'm also a big believer in forgiving yourself what you don't accomplish and when you forgive yourself, start over and begin again in each new day.

I never really make resolutions per say because I think we set ourselves up for failure that way (read my friend Tali's blog: Is Resolution a Dirty Word?).

Here is the best advice I can give to myself and anyone else: "Be gentle, kind and patient with yourself and relax ~ The best peacemakers are those who are at peace with themselves."

It's important to set intentions for our lives, to set goals and to take risks, otherwise we would never achieve anything. But it's important also to be patient with ourselves and not beat ourselves up for not being who we thought we would be by age 30 or by 40 or whatever.

It's interesting to note that someone like Julia Child did not BECOME Julia Child until she was 50 years old. She made a decision and she fearlessly pursued it. The point is, if you wake up one day and you're sick of what you're doing and want to try something else, follow your passion. Your life is yours to live - no one is going to do it for you.

There are more times than I care to admit that I get very down on myself for being 35 and never married and not having children, as if in some way that makes me less of a woman, less of a person. I just always imagined that I would have that by now. But then I read wonderful articles like this and remember that those things don't define me and doesn't at all lessen what I have to offer to the world. In fact I could go on to be quite a memorable woman without ever getting married:

Ten Tremendous Women Who Never Married


Jane Austen, Louisa May Alcott, Florence Nightingale, Susan B. Anthony... not to say that they didn't love but they simply refused to settle. They lived on their terms and that's admirable.

So whatever your intentions for the year, I wish you all the best with everything you hope to achieve. For me, I need to get my booty back in shape so I can go back to teaching bellydance without collapsing :) I look forward to skiing. I hope to write more exciting chapters of my fiction story. I look forward to more geeky movie marathons with my sweet friends and fun game nights with family members. I hope to work on musical projects with Adam and Candace who are writing more music and record with them... and who knows what else the year holds!

I leave you with some inspirational quotes I have gathered over the months.

Have a glorious and an adventurous 2010!

"it is possible to create, even without ever writing a word or painting a picture, by simply molding ones inner life And that too is a deed"

"Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free till they find that someone just as wild to run with them."

"It's the Love inside that set me free, I can't love you if I don't love me."

"To know an anchor's strength, you need to test it in a storm."

"Love, by definition requires risk, if we are consumed by the fear of losing what we love, or our hearts breaking, then we miss out on Love"

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "You owe me." Look at what happens with a love like that; it lights the whole sky."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Belly Dance Practice On The Go

Hey dancers - frustrated because your budget or time doesn't allow for belly dance class? Do you spend countless hours behind a computer desk wishing you could be practicing dance instead? Well good news, you can practice isolations just about anywhere!  Sitting at your desk :   1. alternating glute squeezes.   This is pretty easy to do without anyone noticing (so long as your face isn't making a weird expression. :) As you hopefully know, alternating squeezing each butt cheek is a great way to build up your shimmy strength (while also building muscle memory). First make sure you have the correct posture. Then focus the mind on right cheek, squeeze and then left. If you can only do it slowly that's just fine, it's still an effective exercise and eventually you'll easily speed up. For more info on glute squeezes see Shira's website .  2. pelvic tuck, glute squeeze (both together).   Make sure your posture is correct. Sit toward the back of your chair wi

Ben Browder Q & A 2013

I really don't know the legality of writing in detail about a ticketed event at a convention... but I just had to share the fun that was Ben Browder for my fellow Farscape fans.  He is also know for Stargate (which I didn't really watch but just might now!) and was also on a recent episode of Arrow. But my heart will always beat for John Crichton of Farscape .  Thanks to my AZ BFF Alisha, I was introduced to the most creative sci-fi show I've ever seen.  Working with the Muppet studios and fantastical make-up creations, the show TRULY felt like another universe that would be phenomenally confusing to any human.  And that is part of the humor in it for me... I don't want to spoiler anyone who plans to watch the show, but poor John is a brilliant astronaut who is accidentally sucked into another universe, fumbling his way through, perpetually confused and mocked mercilessly for it. I'd been kind of disappointed in certain sci-fi shows in the past in that the aliens

lame lyrics

"so many things i want to tell you, everything i want to share, just gets blogged or tweeted even though those folks don't care. everything that makes me laugh or break out into a smile, fills me with a need to see you even just a little while." totally corny right? was just a random thought I had a week ago when missing my man. I dunno my biggest flaw as a musician is my inability to connect melodies I write to genuinely good lyrics. There's definitely an art to writing for songs versus writing poetry or stories. I think it baffles me most because what I consider great lyrics are so painfully simple, yet NOT if you get my point. I've been trying to pay attention to songs that really move me and pay close attention to the lyrics. The Cliks album Dirty King is a great example (it's not officially released yet but I bought a copy at their concert). Lucas' lyrics are powerful, yet just vague enough that they can be interpreted many ways and therefore h