Susan Piver is an author I REALLY enjoy - her books, blog, newsletter, etc. feel less like a spiritual teacher lecturing and more like a friend providing extremely insightful advice.
Here is some info that spoke to me (especially the part about crying a lot - made me feel better about myself; that I'm simply open-hearted, not an emotional freak):
The 7 Signs of Openheartedness*
- You see the sadness. You cry a lot and it’s kind of OK.
- You see the humor. You laugh a lot. You know how and when to make others laugh without pissing them off, even when the matter at hand is quite serious.
- The sorrow of other people touches you. So does their joy.
- Inspiration knows how to find you and you are not a stranger to enthusiasm.
- You are polite to everyone yet are not a doormat.
- You feel what you feel without shame (“I suck”) or aggression (“I deserve to feel this”).
- You reek of genuine genuineness. (As opposed to the staged variety.)
*The number 7 is arbitrary--feel free to add to this list.
Opening your heart changes the world.