Skip to main content

Charlie and the Magic Factory

Supernatural fan fiction set in season 10

Charlie and the Magic Factory
By Nielle McCammon 

It had been exactly 13 hours since Dean escaped Sam’s devil’s trap in the Men of Letters fortress. The Winchester/Crowley demon tag team so far proved to be an unstoppable force. Sam had used every power at his disposal to trap Dean; dark magic, summoning other demons whose hatred of Crowley rivaled his own, devil’s trap bullets… 

Sam exhausted every lead; a success which lasted only an hour. Unfortunately for Sam, demon Dean had a sharper mind; keen on exploiting what he knew from the Men of Letters’ secrets, sharing them with Crowley, and working in tandem to surprise Sam at every turn. Not only did Dean have the power of Cain and the king of hell on his side, he also knew every trick up Sam’s sleeve, and the actions Sam would take based on instinct. And once an already-suffering soul has been twisted into a demon, residual brotherly love wasn’t something Sam was counting on. 

Sam knew his only chance was to scour the archives and find something unheard of; a solution Dean would never see coming. Sam knew Crowley and Dean had some master plan. Though the specifics were unknown, just before Crowley and Dean disappeared, Sam heard Dean say, “Time to light it up and burn this mother to the ground! Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em Sammy!” 

Dean obviously took great delight in anything that could remotely annoy or anger Sam. In fact, angering people gave Dean even more joy than ever before. Sam was truly alone. No Bobby, no Garth, no Kevin and no hunters Sam trusted or knew well enough to trust with this problem. Castiel had been despondent when Sam was able to find him but now M.I.A., Sam knew he wasn’t an option for an ally either. Sam thought of calling Jody Mills, but he was not willing to put her in that much danger; especially considering Crowley’s attempted murder of her in the past. 

Tirelessly digging through the Men of Letters archives, researching and reading until his eyes stung, a wave of despair washed over him, and he prayed to the God he knew had abandoned his children. 

“Please,” he said in a weak, cracked voice with tears beginning to well up, “please I just can’t do this on my own. Dean knows too much and he’s too strong. I NEED to save his soul. How do I do it? How can I possibly keep him trapped here? How? HOW!!!?” 

His sadness turned to rage and he knocked over chairs, threw books against the walls, and scattered papers in every direction. Sam let out a vicious cry that would have been heard for miles were he not in the Men of Letters bunker. 

A bottle of “hunter’s helper” later, Sam began to stumble around the lonely floors of his fortress of solitude. Having no one else to talk to, he uttered drunken, slurred sentences loudly as if giving a tour. “And here is where we saw ‘lil spirit Kevin when he was trapped in the veil after I killed killed OHH killed him good. Burned his eyes out annnn everything!” He stumbled out of the kitchen down toward Dean’s old room, “and this is where Dean called me ‘Zeke’ and I had NO friggin idea why. Sonofabitch was ALWAYS a liar.” 

Sam passed a mirror and went back to look at himself. His hair was matted, his eyes bloodshot and his clothes were wearing him. His posture had begun to slouch significantly. He laughed maniacally saying, “I am a MOOSE! I am juuuuuust like a big drunk moose!” Sam stopped laughing. He looked into the mirror intensely and began punching it until he could no longer see himself through the blood and shards of broken pieces. He wailed against what was left of the mirror, hitting it now with his whole body. Leaving a trail of blood as he stumbled, he made his way down to the garage. 

“Aaaaand here we have the place where Dean and I were possessed by the wicked witch from Oz. Charlie kicked Dean in the jewels when he was tryin’ to get her. That’s aweeeeesome. Follow follow follow follow follow follow follow follow the yellow brick rooooooooad!” 

Sam looked at all the cars in the garage that were never used. He picked up a nearby crowbar and was just about to start smashing when all of the sudden he heard whirring and buzzing nearby. He swayed and lost his balance, hitting his head on the front of a car bumper, and fell to the ground, slouched over in confusion and pain. 

Through the cracks of a door, air and water started bursting through with bright green rays pouring in also. With a mighty bang of wind, water and green light, the door burst open, someone stepped through and said some strange words, which stopped the storm and closed the door. 

Sam, now wet, wind-blown and still covered in blood, lifted his head to see a thin, yet muscular woman with short, spiked, messy red hair, carrying a large bag, and a sword sheathed on her belt. As she walked closer into the light, Sam thought he was dreaming or hallucinating to see Charlie, clad in tight brown pants, tall leather boots, and a fierce presence like a warrior. “Charlie?” 

Sam felt sick and could barely sit up. Everything went dark. Sam woke in the garage with pillows under him and someone cleaning and bandaging his hands. He winced in pain as the sting of alcohol seeped into his wounds. 

 “Sorry!” A kind, familiar female voice replied. 
 “Boy Sam, you really did a number on yourself. It’s a good thing I got here when I did. I would have moved you to your room, but you know, even with your major weight loss, you’re still too much man for me to move.” 

Sam tried to sit up but nausea washed over him and he fell back to the floor. 

“EASY tiger. Just relax. Time for ME to rescue YOU. Again.” 

Sam focused his eyes on the face over him to see the smirk of their beloved hacker, LARPer, and transplanted Oz resident: Charlie. 

“Charlie… I can’t believe it. How did you… Was that a storm? Do you have the key? Why are you here? You look so different. What’s…Why...” Sam’s weakness got the best of him and he ran out of breath. 

“Shhhh… I know, it’s amazing to see me and I look bitchin.” 
Charlie smiled sweetly, dabbing dried blood off Sam’s face. 

“Don’t talk Sam. You need to get your strength and sobriety back. I’ll fix up your hands the best I can. But even in Oz they don’t have a hangover cure.” 

“Let me try to sum up a little bit for you while playing nurse. I know powerful wizards in Oz. No not THAT wizard. He’s a total d-bag. I met wizards, wise folk and animals found in the oddest places, good witches, fairies, and creatures you can’t even begin to imagine,” Charlies eyes danced and sparkled as she talked. 
“The magic of Oz is vast and completely different from this realm. Of course I couldn’t use my mad tech skills, so I became obsessed with magic and ways of using it to help people. After a while, peeps from all over started seeking me out because of my unique… life experiences mixed with this mastery of Oz magic. Not to brag, but Dorothy still calls me a genius. She sends her love, BTdubs. 
Eventually, I started having visions in my sleep. A blessing AND a curse let me tell you. But I could help people, and that was really cool. 

A couple weeks ago, I dreamt of Dean, with black eyes, trying to kill you with a sword. Then I saw you alone and literally felt your emotional and physical pain, and I knew… I knew I had to come back. Things are worse than normal aren’t they? It’s not just monsters. It’s way bigger.”
 
Sam wanted to tell her everything, but lacked the strength. Tears started to well up in his eyes and he lifted his sore, bandaged hand to touch her face. “Oh Charlie,” Sam’s voice breaking and weak, “you have no idea.” 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam must have drifted off, because when he woke, Charlie had returned with some water and crackers, and was subtly force-feeding him. She started talking first so she could crumble crackers into his mouth. 

“So, let me tell you a little more while we get you back up to functional strength ok? 
Dorothy needed to keep the key into Oz in order to protect it. We have it bound and locked in a secure location protected with a hybrid of magical spells I designed, and only a few of us know how to undo it. There are too many things out there who want that key. Trust me, you do NOT want them getting in here. Lucky for us, there are other ways in and out of Oz. I opted for the eye of a hurricane. It’s not as complicated as it sounds. 
I’ve gone full-on Hermione and can summon a hurricane here in order to get back there when I need to. Dorothy wanted me to enter back into this dimension in a back-woods place way far from here, but I wasn’t gonna waste any time. I knew my boys needed help ASAP and I don’t have time to find a car and throw days away driving to you. Plus, no teleporting here. Total drag. So, I consulted everyone I knew, every spell book I could get my hands on, and invented a spell. A spell transporting me from Oz via hurricane to a direct location, here, using the coordinates plus the essence of your soul.” 

Sam’s head perked up and he said, “Whoa essence of my, how did you…?” 

“That’s another story big brother. We’ll get into the nifty spellwork later. Anyway, if I want to get back there, it’s gonna take more research since magic there is so strong, and here… not so much. What I need, is for you to get some strength back so I can help you to your room. Then, you can recover and fill me in on the crazy lives of Sam and Dean. 
 I also need to go into mad research mode because my newly acquired magic skills may not work here… at least not the same way. Actually, I have no idea what will happen using Oz magic here. 
I could accidentally reenact Mickey’s ‘Sorcerer’s Apprentice.’ But I figure, hey, biggest supernatural library in the world… it’s a magical wonderland!” 

Charlie tried to be her normal peppy, snarky self, but even in his weakened state, Sam could see right through her; how scared and concerned she was. Sam began to feel a little better as he sat up slowly and sipped water cupped between his bandaged hands. 

“OK I can walk. Let’s get upstairs.” 

It wasn’t a pretty picture, but eventually, limping and leaning on Charlie, Sam got to his room and fell into bed. After some sleep, a little food, and a lot of water, Sam told Charlie the whole story of how things had led up to the current situation. 

Charlie let out a sigh as her eyes filled with tears, “Sam, I’m so sorry. But you’re not alone anymore. We’ll figure this out. You and I, together.” 
She stood up and wiped the tears from her cheeks. 
“Now, what do you say we get into Hogwarts-mode and skim that ginormous library to find the fairy magic section? I have some ideas I think will help. Does this place have a lab? And spell supplies?”

“Charlie…” Sam stood up slowly, looking at the determined, feisty woman so drastically transformed, yet still so true to her integrity and loyalty. He became overwhelmed with affection for her as the sister he never knew he wanted. Now she was the family he desperately needed. “Charlie.” She stopped talking and turned around to see Sam looking at her with adoration. He walked over and enveloped her in his arms. 

They stood hugging for a few moments and he looked down at her and said, “I love you.” 

“I know,” she smiled. “OK, new plan. You go shower and brush your teeth, I’ll start the research.” 

Sam emerged clean-shaven to see Charlie in the main research room furiously typing on his laptop, surrounded by large volumes of old dusty books. 

“Ah - MUCH better Sam! Dude, I cannot tell you how good it feels to use your laptop. Even just the typing is orgasmic. I’ve already cross-referenced, finding three websites that’ll help us, and hacked into their private repositories. It’s taken all my self control not to just surf online and catch up on pop culture. Hey, did you finish the Game of Thrones books?” 

Sam smiled. 
“So where’s your sword? You’re looking more like a hunter than a woman of letters now. And that haircut? Wow.” 

“What about it? It’s way more practical when you’re on the bricks. Plus, living in a fairy realm, I thought it was fitting to have a pixie cut.” 

“No I’m just saying - you look amazing. On the bricks? Oh, travelling on the brick road, right.” 

“As for the sword… Well, you know me, I prefer wielding the power of my mind. But, there are monsters in Oz too, so Dorothy became my Mr. Miyagi and I learned how to fight. Some of the nasty creatures fly, so that takes crazy skills I didn’t have. Of course there are the winged monkeys, Raks, Orks, Kalidahs… Luckily I didn’t see a Rak. But those damned monkeys are everywhere, and pissed at me for killing their boss.” 

“Oh,” Sam interrupted her, “You asked about a lab and magic supplies. I found a room a while back just before I summoned Dean the last time. It’s fully stocked with everything I think someone would need for spells; at least the kinds of spells I’ve read about. 

He sighed, “I used everything there I thought would keep Dean trapped, but no luck.” Sam walked Charlie to a floor below the garage pushing open a secret door hidden behind more books. 

“Man this place is a trip,” Charlie smiled. “Where are the moving staircases and talking pictures?” 

Sam flipped on the light to reveal a laboratory the size of the garage, full of shelves stocked with vials, bottles, boxes and books. 

“Holy awesome,” Charlie walked around, scanning the shelves and set down her canvas bag. 

Charlie started taking things from her bag; leaves, flowers, containers of powders, what appeared to be types of hairs, and a giant leather-bound journal with other organic things pressed into the pages. 

“I brought along rare and powerful magic ingredients from Oz. These things have enough potency to last a year. But I’m guessing in this dimension, it’ll take a lot more juice to work our mojo. I’m going to do a couple tiny experiments mixing existing spell supplies from this lab with the ones I brought, to test a theory I have about a way to hold Dean indefinitely. I just need to be careful not to use too much of the Oz supplies in testing, but we need to make sure it’s going to work. We don’t want a pissed off demon Dean on the loose in here. Again.” 

“What can I do?” Sam said, feeling useless. “YOU… need to go back to the library and grab all those books I pulled along with the laptop. I started writing a spell to bind a demon based on things I brought that can immobilize most creatures, and will combine them with ingredients I’m hoping I can find in here. Problem is, I’m not exactly sure what to use from this lab, which is why we need those books and the data I hacked to put this puzzle together. I mean, I have an idea of the kinds of things we need, but every nuance can change the outcome of a powerful spell. I need your brain power too. Hard to infiltrate this Ministry of Magic with information written by Muggles."

When Sam returned with the books and laptop, he saw white sparks flying, red light shoot across the room, and purple liquid dart toward him in the doorway. 

“DUCK!” Charlie shouted. She giggled nervously. 

Sam couldn’t help but laugh when he saw Charlie’s bright red hair standing straight out from her head. She looked like she’d been rolling around in colored chalk, and residual sparks seemed to be dripping from her fingertips. 

“I’ve got good news, and bad news; depending on how you look at it,” Charlie chirped. 
“The good news, is that my test with the hybrid Oz/Earth elements was a success. I have a good feeling that with the right spellwork and mixture, we’ll be able to trap Dean and keep him here as long as necessary.” 

“And the bad news?” Sam asked nervously. 

“The bad news… As I feared, the things I brought back from Oz have to be used in larger quantities here, so we pretty much have one shot at this, and can’t do any more testing.” 

Charlie looked over at Sam, empathizing with his continued sadness and worry. 

“But hey, it’s not the first time it’s come down to that right? You guys have gone out on a limb a bunch of times and saved the frakin world. I mean c’mon Sam! Buck up! We can do this!” 

Sam poured over books while Charlie typed on the laptop. They brainstormed, read, researched and wrote for several hours. 

“Oh. My. GOD! Sam! I’ve got it!” Sam perked up and looked at her laptop screen. 

“Magic Belt? What’s that? And essence of my soul? You said you’d explain that.” 

“The Magic Belt grants one wish a day, plus has other protective powers. Ozma stole it from the Nome King and gave it to Dorothy, who loaned it to me. Now... the Magic Belt theoretically only works in Oz, but if my theory is correct, the magic essence of your soul combined with the protective power of the belt will seal the deal when Dean is hit with the potion. I’ll need the belt to go back to Oz, but you’ll wear it for this ritual.” 

Sam looked at the belt around Charlie’s tiny, toned waist. 

“Magical Belt Sam. It’ll adjust to your size,” she smiled. 

“And the soul… essence?” Sam stammered. 

“THAT, is much easier than you’re thinking. In Oz, when a spell calls for the essence of a soul, it’s tapping into pure energy; the intention of the spellcaster toward the recipient of the spell. Based on everything I know from you two and your history, the energy and intention will be easy to extract. It’s kind of like Peter Pan… think happy thoughts, and you’ll fly. Easy as pie!” 

Sam looked at her blankly. 

“Just trust me Sam. We’ll word it into the spell and when you’re chanting, you’ll focus your energy into your purpose and to the pure love for your brother as he was. It’ll work. I know it.” 

Charlie sounded like she was convincing herself as much as she was encouraging Sam. 

“Alright then,” Sam said with the first glimmer of hope he’d had in a long time. “Let’s do this.” 

After several more long hours in the lab, Charlie and Sam started gathering weapons and preparing the ingredients for the ritual to summon Dean. Angel blades, bullets made from angel blades, guns loaded with devil’s trap bullets; anything that a demon would fear. An angel blade bullet in the foot had to hurt like hell for a demon. 

Sam looked at a watermelon-colored powder in a bowl Charlie carried. “Poppy powder,” she said without missing a beat. “Well, that mixed with a few other things from your uber-lab. It won’t last long, but it will stun them long enough to buy a little time.” 

“Charlie, are you… psychic now?” Sam was continually impressed by her leadership and knowledge. 

Charlie giggled. “I wish. No. I mean, I’ve always been intuitive. And let’s face it, women are superior when it comes to that skill anyway. But since these visions started… I don’t know. I just feel like I can tune into each individual’s radio station perfectly; without static. Like my senses are heightened. Extra Spidey sense, if you will.” She smiled. 

After cleaning up, they sat down to eat and strategize. Both of them were too charged on otherworldly energy and anticipation to be tired. Sam sat thoughtfully, trying to work through the details of madness in his life. 

“The Father we talked to before I tried to cure Crowley, told us a demon is a human soul, twisted from its time spent in hell. But Dean.. he went to hell a while ago, and he came back fine. More or less. And this time, he just… died. He didn’t go to hell he just, turned into a demon. I guess he was living hell on earth and Crowley gave him the push he needed. The Mark of Cain, the First Blade, and Dean’s hell on earth; the unholy trinity, making the next generation Knight of Hell.” 

“Wait,” Charlie perked up. “You’re saying Dean just died and then, was a demon? Does that HAPPEN? I mean, that’s got to be to our advantage somehow. You guys are the exception to every rule. You defy every law; natural AND supernatural. Once we get Dean trapped, you know how to cure him, and you’re not undergoing the trials, so it won’t kill you right? At least, not in theory!” 

“Yeah, maybe. But the thing we have to worry about first and foremost is keeping Dean here. Once his new BFF realizes he’s gone, Crowley will start plotting ways to get him out.” 

“But you said this place is warded against demons right?” The wheels in Charlie’s head were spinning rapidly. “If demons can’t get in, how is Crowley a problem?” 

“Trust me,” Sam gritted his teeth, “Crowley’s ALWAYS a problem.” 

“OK,” Charlie said with calm determination, “We’ll just have to be ready for him. And then, you’ll kick it in the ass like you always do.” 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The time was fast approaching to begin the summoning. 

Charlie, cleaned up and looking fierce, sat in the corner deep in thought, sharpening her sword. 

Sam walked over to examine it. “What kind of sword is that? I’ve never seen that type of metal.” 

“Pretty sweet eh?” Charlie sat back basking in pride. “The imprisoned nome fairies continued to mine for precious metals, even after the Nome King was stopped.” Sam sat down, transfixed by Charlie’s stories. “Ozma was brought a large chunk of metal unlike any other found with the antiquities underground. When she touched it, it glowed green and vibrated in her hands. It was Dorothy’s idea to melt it down and forge into a sword for Ozma to use, but as it turns out, anyone truly worthy of wielding it, can use its power. Just like Thor’s hammer - can you believe it?? So naturally I thought of Zelda and other mythical swords and speculated about its power here, and Dorothy reluctantly agreed to let me bring it along. FYI, really good and slicing and dicing monkeys.” 

Charlie squealed with laughter and Sam sat silently, looking blankly at her. 

“Anyhoo… could come in handy right? Nothing like testing hypotheses to make a geek girl giddy!”

They both looked at each other for a moment, no words spoken, knowing the time had come and both worked up the will to begin. “I guess it’s now or never huh,” Charlie said with her first hint of fear since she’d returned. 

Sam exhaled slowly, “Charlie, Dean is going to use every ounce of personal ammunition he has against you. He’s going to exploit any residual feelings you have for him in order to hurt you; to deter you from what we’re about to do. You need to prepare yourself, and remember the truth.” 

“Sam, after all this time, are you really underestimating me now? Yeah, it’s gonna suck seeing him this way. But I’m determined. I love him too, and we need to get this done. Do or do not - right?” 

“Also,” Charlie stood up, took off the Belt and handed it to Sam, “I’m going to need this back as soon as it’s done the job for you. I’ll grab it, make a run outside with my gear to get the hurricane up and running so I can go back to Oz for more supplies. Technically, our potion should hold him for a long time, if not indefinitely, but better safe than sorry.” 

“OK,” Sam said with strong determination, “It’s time.” 

In the dungeon, Sam scattered bits of things from Oz around the devil’s trap; sparrow, hawk and monkey feathers, unicorn, gump and fairy hair, and creepy things about which Sam didn’t want to know the origin. He began the ritualistic chanting of the all too familiar demon summoning spell. To his shock and horror, Dean and Crowley appeared together. 

As if on cue, Dean and Crowley cackled a taunting laugh and yelled, “MOOSE!” Without hesitation, Sam pulled out the gun filled with devil’s trap bullets and shot each one of them in the head. 

Dean laughed again, “Oh Sammy Sammy Sammy… Those don’t even sting anymore. Haven’t you learned your lesson by now? You know we’ll be able to dig those out eventually. You know how easy it was for me to get out last time. What could you possibly do to hold us here?” 

In steps Charlie with fistfuls of poppy powder that she blows into the faces of Dean and Crowley, “Abracadabra bitches.” 

Faces covered in pink powder, Crowley looks at Dean and says, “What in hades is this?” 

Sam wastes no time chaining Dean in the demon trap cuffs and hands Charlie another set to put on Crowley. Sam takes a link chain he’d also carved with pentagrams, and locks the two of them together. 

Dean spits out powder and rapidly blinks his eyes. “Charlie!?? Well damn, little sister! Check you out Xena warrior Oz princess!” Dean looks over at Crowley and mimics the voice of the Wicked Witch of the West, “Poppies... Poppies will make them sleep. Sleeeeep.” 

Crowley looked at Dean blankly. “Sheesh, who’s the meathead now? It’s poppy powder you moron! Charlie’s been to Oz and she brought back poppies. Like that’s gonna hold us,” Dean snickered. Dean laughed again. “Sorry Charlie. I ain’t sleepin. But I’m kinda tingly. I like it, sister.” 

Charlie stepped closer to Dean, her hand clutching her sword so tightly she could feel every muscle in her arm tighten. Her eyes narrowed and she grimly whispered, “I’m not your sister, and you’re not Anakin Skywalker. You’re Darth Vader now, and your side always loses.” 

Dean’s laugh echoed throughout the dungeon. The corners of his mouth snarled into a vicious grin and his eyes turned black. He started breathing in and out emulating Darth Vader. “Come to the dark side, Charlie. We have things WAY better than cookies.” 

Sam motioned to Charlie to step back and she did so reluctantly, never taking her angry gaze off Dean. She would have blasted Dean with holy water if it wouldn’t wash off the poppy mixture. 

“I like this tart, Sam,” Crowley said with his usual jocularity. “She’s got enough balls and brains for the both of you.” 

“So what...” Sam looked fiercely at both of them, “Are you two the Wonder Twins now? Is there new material for the Supernatural slash fans?” 

“He wishes,” Dean’s gruffly chortled. Dean and Crowley exchanged awkward glances. 

“Why would we tell you anything, Moose?” Crowley smirked. “We’re always going to be leaps and bounds ahead of you. You apparently have your little schemes and secrets. You don’t see us torturing you. We’re taking what we deserve in a civilized manner. It’s only cretins like you, insistent on defying superior power, causing the mayhem and bloodshed.” 
Crowley looks over at Dean and rolls his eyes. “OK, maybe HE likes the mayhem and bloodshed. Actually Dean, this is the happiest I’ve seen you in, well, ever.” 

“Yeah, now that I’m dead, I’m really livin!” Dean’s hoarse, sarcastic voice grated on Sam’s nerves with every word. 

“See Sammy, I hated myself all my life. Everyone I loved, I got killed. But now... now that I don’t give a crap, damn this world feels good! Don’t you remember Sammy? Life without a soul? Simple. Free from suffering. Doing the job was easier and you were better at it. And you wanna, what? CURE me? Cure me of what?” 

“You aren’t soulless Dean,” Sam sternly replied, calling on all his patience to react with logic and not fly off the handle. “Your soul is corrupted. Your life isn’t free of suffering. You inflict the suffering on innocent people. Your putrid, rotting, sick soul is the crap you fought and hated your whole life. You’ve become the monster that killed our parents and grandparents." 

Dean kept grinning while he and Sam stared at one another. 

Crowley looked back and forth at them as if he felt left out of the broment. 

“Enough talking Sam,” Charlie walked in with two tranquilizer dart guns and handed one to Sam.

“Charlie,” Dean crooned, “Just look at you darlin. Now why are you so mad at me? It wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that I convinced you to kill your mom, now does it?” 

Charlie’s eye twitched. Dean knew just how to push her buttons. 

“Did ya do any fairy banging in Oz? Cuz your new look, that’s some next level material there. I bet you like to dominate now, am I right? Is this your new thing? S & M in dungeons? C’mon you can tell me. You’ve got two very naughty guys chained up down here. How about we share some dirty stories?”

“SHUT. UP!” Charlie raised her sword and green light radiated, shocking Dean’s whole body and leaving a gash on his arm. 

Crowley’s eyes lit up. “Impressive, love. Our first order of business when we get loose will be taking that magnificent, mystery sword. The second, obviously, will be getting you to join our little gang. You my dear, are far too valuable to kill. Such fun we’ll all have together. Three’s Company.” 

“Enough talking,” Sam looked over at Charlie. 

“Agreed.” Charlie felt that little banter was just the right amount of motivation she needed to do whatever had to be done, even if that included kicking Dean’s demon ass all the way to Oz. 

Charlie brought Sam a piece of paper and a large bowl filled with spell ingredients. Sam set down his tranquilizer gun filled with one dose of immobilization potion. 

“Remember Sam,” Charlie whispered in his ear, “When you’ve finished the final words, you begin the chant that focuses the essence of your soul. It’s vital that you remember moments in your life with Dean, times which created an unbreakable connection, the love that bound you to him forever.” 

“But what about Crowley?” Sam started to panic. “This final part won’t work on him. I have no soul connection to Crowley. How are we going to make sure he stays bound?” 

“I have a theory about that,” Charlie whispered quickly, “Your blood. He got addicted, right? You said you still had vials of it stashed away back here. While you’re finishing the final chant with Dean, I’ll stun Crowley with the Oz blade, inject him with as much blood as possible, and will finish the binding spell on him.” 

“Will that work?” Sam asked, pulling Charlie further away from the chained duo. 

“Do you have any other ideas?” Charlie and Sam looked at each other, giving the silent nod. 

Dean broke the silence. “Hey Shaggy! Velma! I ain’t feelin very tingly anymore. In fact,” Dean appeared to be getting loose from one of his cuffs, “You’re about to be in for a world of hurt. You know you can’t hold a KNIGHT OF HELL!” 

Charlie and Sam burst back into the room. Sam picked up the bowl and paper and began reading the spell; written in a hybrid of languages of fairy magic from the Men of Letters’ library, and spells Charlie wrote from Oz. While Sam was reading and scattering the contents of the bowl inside the devil’s trap, Charlie ran to where Sam’s blood was stored and found three loaded syringes to use on Crowley. Sam’s reading became louder and faster, as he noticed that Dean was making some progress getting the chains loosened. 

Charlie, remembering her writing well, joined in speaking with Sam and also cast spell ingredients into the devil’s trap. 

Now it was time for the chant to tap energy from Sam’s soul. 

Except this time, Charlie needed to channel her own soul’s power in the hope of reaching any lingering humanity in Crowley. 
The words came from an Oz native tongue, but were oddly similar to religious chants used by churches in the middle ages. Charlie had discovered the etymology and connections between realms, both meaning a meditative state to draw out the holy; the most pure of intention. 

Though Charlie had no love for, nor connection to Crowley, she trusted her own quest for right, and hoped that would be enough to see through the layers of his evil to a deeper purpose. 

With 3 syringes of blood clutched in her left hand and the sword in her right, she rushed Crowley and began to stun him with the sword of Oz. His whole body started to spasm and Charlie dropped the sword to inject him with the first dose of Sam’s blood. She chanted along with Sam, hoping the blood would once again trigger a human response. 

Meanwhile, watching Dean struggle, Sam kept an intense focus on Dean’s eyes, now black, all the while chanting and remembering every single moment in which they had saved one another. 

Sam flashed to times when the brothers brought one another out of the darkness. He lingered over memories that to another person may have seemed trivial, but meant something more to the brothers; like having a beer, sitting on the Impala. Having a Christmas together, vowing to save one another over and over, stopping the apocalypse… 

Sam remembered each experience with Dean in a visceral and spiritual way. While chanting the phrase repeatedly, he sent thoughts to his brother who was now growling and shouting. Remember Dean. We are each other’s family. There ain’t no you if there ain’t no me. We break every rule to save each other and we never give up

From each memory, Sam sorted through the pain to send only the love they shared through his words.

Charlie was done injecting Sam’s blood into Crowley’s neck, stepped back and picked up her tranquilizer gun. She and Sam were still chanting as their eyes met, and he picked up his gun containing the same purple liquid. Sam and Charlie’s words and thoughts were in now sync, and seemed to echo through the room which was vibrating. “NOW!” Charlie yelled. 

Charlie aimed at Crowley and Sam aimed at Dean’s heart, and they let loose the darts; the final step. The potion injection hit them with neon purple blasts. At that moment, a green light radiated from the Magic Belt Sam wore, beaming straight into Dean’s eyes. The force of it knocked Sam down and he watched a stunned Dean writhe as purple moved through his veins and green light lingered on his eyes. Charlie watched Crowley who was also in shock and squirming with purple moving through his body. 

In another blast, both Crowley and Dean were surrounded in a cocoon of purple light and unable to move. Sam and Charlie looked at each other in disbelief. They stood there, watching the pair of demons for a few minutes, making sure they stayed in stasis. 

“We did it, Sam. It’s time for phase two.” Charlie smiled and Sam weakly smiled back. 

Charlie picked up her sword. She looked Dean in the eyes and he mumbled, “This….won’t….hold….me….for...ever.” 

“We’ll see,” Sam said as they turned to leave and he shut the cell doors behind them. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Sam and Charlie continued to walk in silence, both of them collapsed on the ground. 

Charlie woke to Sam’s voice and slowly sat up, seeing double and feeling woosy. “Yup, that’s magic for ya,” Charlie slurred. “One hellofa ride… especially when soul stuff is involved.” 

 “So now…” Sam paused. 

“Now,” Charlie’s head started to clear, “I get back to Oz quickly, gather more supplies, and come back to help you. Next phase, cure Dean. Right?” 

“You make it sound so simple,” Sam smiled. “But what are we going to do with Crowley?” 

“That’s really up to you, Sam. Is there any point in keeping him around? Isn’t he the one that started Dean down this path? Why not just exorcise him?” 

Sam was conflicted. Crowley still had valuable knowledge, but using him for information had always come at a price. Most recently, the biggest price of all. 

“Well, while you figure that out, let me go gather my things and prepare for the journey back.” Charlie stood up slowly, feeling light-headed. “Whooo and maybe a little food is a good idea too eh Sam? Sam? Are you OK?” 

Sam stood up and hugged Charlie. “Yeah. I’ll be OK. Especially now that I have the smartest person in the universe on my side.” 

Sam smiled, took off the Magic Belt and handed it to Charlie. They left the dungeon, not noticing the purple sparks coming from underneath the dungeon cell door. 

THE END

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Belly Dance Practice On The Go

Hey dancers - frustrated because your budget or time doesn't allow for belly dance class? Do you spend countless hours behind a computer desk wishing you could be practicing dance instead? Well good news, you can practice isolations just about anywhere!  Sitting at your desk :   1. alternating glute squeezes.   This is pretty easy to do without anyone noticing (so long as your face isn't making a weird expression. :) As you hopefully know, alternating squeezing each butt cheek is a great way to build up your shimmy strength (while also building muscle memory). First make sure you have the correct posture. Then focus the mind on right cheek, squeeze and then left. If you can only do it slowly that's just fine, it's still an effective exercise and eventually you'll easily speed up. For more info on glute squeezes see Shira's website .  2. pelvic tuck, glute squeeze (both together).   Make sure your posture is correct. Sit toward the back of your chair wi

Ben Browder Q & A 2013

I really don't know the legality of writing in detail about a ticketed event at a convention... but I just had to share the fun that was Ben Browder for my fellow Farscape fans.  He is also know for Stargate (which I didn't really watch but just might now!) and was also on a recent episode of Arrow. But my heart will always beat for John Crichton of Farscape .  Thanks to my AZ BFF Alisha, I was introduced to the most creative sci-fi show I've ever seen.  Working with the Muppet studios and fantastical make-up creations, the show TRULY felt like another universe that would be phenomenally confusing to any human.  And that is part of the humor in it for me... I don't want to spoiler anyone who plans to watch the show, but poor John is a brilliant astronaut who is accidentally sucked into another universe, fumbling his way through, perpetually confused and mocked mercilessly for it. I'd been kind of disappointed in certain sci-fi shows in the past in that the aliens

what 3 books would you take?

I finally saw the original Time Machine from the 60s and liked it very much (what true geek COULDN'T appreciate such a significant sci-fi movie from our history?). Kind of ashamed to say I hadn't seen it yet... I loved that even though it was made in 1960, it still kept true to the timeline of being set in the year 1900. Needless to say after major references from The Big Bang Theory I figured it was time to give it a viewing. Considering the time period it was made, the time-lapse photographic effects and costuming, props, etc were all so terrific that it didn't have that campy-old-movie feel. But what I loved most were all the thought provoking questions... too many Sci-Fi movies made currently just go straight for the effects and really miss the mark on screenplay, dialogue and message (*cough* star wars eps I-III *cough*). This is why I love Joss Whedon so much because in addition to great effects and action, you get humor, you get characters wrestling with complex